Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Real Beauty is Within

WATCH THESE:
http://www.dove.us/#/features/videos/default.aspx%5Bcp-documentid=7049578%5D/

We watched these videos in my Journalism Ethics class and discussed the ideas shown in those videos. It really made me think about beauty and what our world programs into us from an early age. We are taught from the media and our peers to think that our hair is only pretty if it is pin straight or perfectly done, we are only accepted if we are a size 2, and that as far as makeup goes.... the more the better. I especially liked the "Amy" video... which I know is true for myself as well as many girls out there. We dress up for boys and worry about every little thing about our appearance because surely if our boyfriends see us in our glasses or sweaty at the gym, they won't like us anymore. Is this the kind of world we want to live in? Ask these same boys we worry about and aside from the jerks out there, most will reply that we are beautiful no matter what and they like us for who we are and think we are gorgeous with or without makeup. Why is this idea so hard for girls and women to accept? The beauty industry has long trained us to deem ourselves unworthy unless we live up to the unrealistic perfect standards that God-knows who set up in the first place. I also know how girls can be, always judging others based on what they look like. I know I'm definitely guilty of this. I find myself thinking... "what the hell is she wearing?" or "wow that person is goofy looking" or whatever. We all do it whether we want to admit it or not. I'd like to sit here and tell you I am perfectly nice all the time, but it's a lie. No matter how much we change, everyone will always judge everyone else. It's time to make a conscience effort about it though. When you see someone dressed different, relish in it... don't make fun of it. As over-used as it is, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. What one person thinks is beautiful, someone else may not. But this doesn't mean the person is ugly. Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way... the thing you hate about yourself may just be something someone else admires about you. So I challenge all you girls out there to shun the media, to turn away as a new "fat blaster medicine" or "beauty enhancing creme" comes on the market, and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. If you can stare and point out things you hate about yourself... STOP. Start counting the things you love. And as for judging, make an effort to decrease it. How boring would the world be if everyone was a stick-thin, 6 foot, blonde model? However, I'm not saying to run to your room and throw away all your lotions, potions, and makeup... just understand that it is not what defines you. Most girls love getting ready and looking pretty, just make sure you are doing it for yourself and that you are still beautiful in sweatpants and makeup-less. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)