Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Complainers Never Prosper

"If you don't like something change it. 
If you can't change it, change your attitude. 
Don't complain." 
-Maya Angelou

I read this quote and it reminded me a lot about myself. I know I have a habit of whining and complaining about anything and everything. I come home and complain about my classes and how boring they are without really giving them a chance. I complain about how much I hate my work but I haven't done a whole heck of a lot to find another one or try to fix anything at my job. When you really think of it, when you complain to someone it only makes them see you as an ungrateful person with a constant black cloud over their head. Would you rather be seen always drenched or shining brightly? And while sometimes I try to turn complaining into jokes which doesn't seem so bad.... only a few of those are necessary. Life brings all kinds of challenges but in my experience they only open your eyes to good things in your life or make you stronger. How boring would life be without drama filled weekends or classroom problems? Wouldn't you be bored to tears if everything in your life was always amazing? How would you ever change or grow into a better person? While something might seem like it is the end of the world and nothing can get better.... it will. Maybe you had to fail a test to make yourself realize how to study better or to meet a study partner that will soon become your treasured friend. Maybe people have to break up so their soul mates can come along. Maybe death of a loved one creeps in to make you thankful for all the wonderful people in your life still. We never really know. In my own life, I had to go through the death of an uncle, the controversial new marriage and birth of my cousin, and dealing with a not so nice new family member to receive two cousins that have changed my life. To me, it is the hardest thing in the world.... to see joy in sadness, beauty in pain, happiness in sorrow... but we all must try. When you are going through a hard time, dig deep to find out how you can grow from it and realize who are the people who help you through it and keep you sane. We all have those we love... be that person for someone as well. So as I challenge myself, I challenge all of you. Find something in your life you routinely complain or feel sad about, think of how you can change it or fix it and if you can't understand why it's there and how it will change you for the better. If everything still feels hopeless and without purpose, go hug someone who loves you and wants you to feel better, because I assure you... they are out there. :)

"The bad things in life open your eyes to the good things you weren't noticing before."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)