Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Different Kinds of Love


I've been thinking a lot about different kinds of love. I've heard people talk about having a really passionate love and having a comfortable love. One of my professors said that she married her best friend and lived 20 years with him, until he found his passionate love and they got divorced....that they had only had a comfortable love. It kind of made me angry in a way. Why can't comfortable love carry you? In my experience, I have learned that passion often fades and what's deep inside you is what works. I love this quote I found randomly one day:

"I don't pretend to know what love is for everyone, but I can tell you what it is for me; love is knowing all about someone, and still wanting to be with them more than any other person, love is trusting them enough to tell them everything about yourself, including the things you might be ashamed of, love is feeling comfortable and safe with someone, but still getting weak knees when they walk into a room and smile at you."

I forget who wrote it but I just found it so perfect. I think you know when you love someone when you learn all about each other even flaws and weaknesses and you still look at them with that sparkle in your eye. You still look at them as perfect even though you know they are imperfect. It's the person you know will always be there for you and that you can always trust. It's just a feeling I'm sure most of you can relate to in some way.

I strongly believe that people come into our lives for a reason. We have family who we know loves us no matter what we do... they have a kind of tie to us that cannot be broken no matter how much we may wish it to at times. No matter how many times you screw up, your mom still loves you because your hers. It's a different feeling when someone loves you even though they don't have to. 

I couldn't find an exact quote... but I was also thinking about a quote from the movie "The Last Kiss"... the mother describing how her daughter's boyfriend looked at her. "He just looked at her like he had to have her." I just really liked how that was described...the notion of looking at someone a certain way because you loved them. Or rather loving them because you look at them a certain way.

Okay I have no idea what this note started out as...but that's all I have to say. I am happy with my comfortable love with a bit of passion thrown in there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)