Thursday, March 1, 2012

My First Booty Shake With Zumba


ZumbaOne of my goals for this year was to try new ways to stay fit and have fun. I’ve always been interested in trying Zumba after hearing so many good things about it. I’ve been reluctant because I’m not that greatest dancer or the most coordinated person in the world. Yet I still wanted to try it and see what it was like. A lady I knew from my church taught Zumba classes there but it is always at times I can’t attend. So when I found out about a Heart2Heart party she was hosting that featured Zumba, yoga, meditation and self-massage, I knew I had to go! I enlisted a friend and we signed up, ready to shake our booties.

Much like yoga, Zumba is all about enjoying your own practice and doing what you are able to do, but with a twist. The music was blaring heart pumping songs and new moves kept coming. I was nervous I wouldn’t be able to catch up or I would do the moves totally wrong, but I quickly realized that it didn’t really matter, as long as you were moving! No one was doing the moves perfectly or “completely correct”. Zumba is all about getting your heart beating and your feet moving towards a healthier body. I had a blast! I didn’t care what I looked like (it was probably very amusing to watch), but it was so much fun to dance around to happy music, clapping my hands and shaking my booty! I definitely hope to start taking Zumba classes because it was such a fun workout!

Next came yoga with a different instructor. It was a shorter session than I am used to, but very relaxing and rewarding nonetheless. Then a massage therapist taught us some self-massage techniques and reminded us to drink, drink, drink water for our health! I learned that the center of our immune system is in the area right between our chest and it helps amp it up to rub it a little bit with small circles. Small circles seemed to be the key – rub your head, face, neck, etc. with your fingers using small circles to ease tension and stress. Also remember, we hunch so much during the day while we walk, type, text and much more, so arch back and open up your chest for a nice stretch. We ended the night with meditation, door prizes and snacks. Proceeds for the event went to help National Heart Month (check your ticker!).

All in all, I’m so glad I went! Not only did I get to spend time with a great friend, I tried something new and loved it. I definitely hope to start taking Zumba classes along with my yoga routine.
Have you ever tried Zumba or gone to an event like this? Tell me about it!


See the original article on ASKinyourface.com


Please visit Michelle Haight’s Zumba website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)