Monday, July 12, 2010

Ready for Change


I have to admit, this is a scary time in my life. I only have 3 more classes of college left! THREE! It is one of those things that I thought would never come, am anticipated the arrival of graduation, and partially dreading it. Just like everyone else, I am afraid of change. I am trying to work through this fear because it is one of those things that really holds you back in life. It always brings me back to this quote from "Everwood"...

"The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm not sure who the first person was who said that. Probably Shakespeare. Or maybe Sting. But at the moment, it's the sentence that best explains my tragic flaw, my inability to change. I don't think I'm alone in this. The more I get to know other people, the more I realize it's kind of everyone's flaw. Staying exactly the same for as long as possible, standing perfectly still... It feels safer somehow. And if you are suffering, at least the pain is familiar. Because if you took that leap of faith, went outside the box, did something unexpected... Who knows what other pain might be out there, waiting for you. Chances are it could be even worse. So you maintain the status quo. Choose the road already traveled and it doesn't seem that bad. Not as far as flaws go. You're not a drug addict. You're not killing anyone... Except maybe yourself a little. When we finally do change, I don't think it happens like an earthquake or an explosion, where all of a sudden we're like this different person. I think it's smaller than that. The kind of thing most people wouldn't even notice unless they looked at us really close. Which, thank God, they never do. But you notice it. Inside you that change feels like a world of difference. And you hope this is it. This is the person you get to be forever... that you'll never have to change again."

I absolutely love this quote. Isn't it so true? We're so afraid of change that we stay still for as long as possible. Even if we are hurting so bad, we freeze because we wonder if the change could be so much worse. But this quote inspires me. If there is something in your life you don't like, change it. Change is always possible, we are either too stubborn or scared to try it. So get out there and change. Chances are you'll be glad you did. There's always that possibility that change could bring something worse but at least you tried and you learned and now you're ready for another change. So change until it brings you joy and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)