Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Too Many Electronic Screens!


The other day I was working from home. I didn't have much gas in my car and I really had to wait to fill up until I got paid the next day. So unfortunately, I had to stay at home all day. My boyfriend was coming over but not until later that night. That night I realized, I hadn't been away from a glowing screen ALL DAY except perhaps to use the bathroom and shower. I watched TV, I worked on my laptop, I surfed the web, I set up my new Blackberry and played around with it, and I played games on my Wii. Some of it fun; some productive, but all wrecking havoc on my eyes!

Isn't this a problem these days? I'm sure I'm not the only one who realizes I do this. It certainly doesn't help that all my work involves a computer and writing, blogging, and computer work is my passion. I love technology, but some days I just have horrible headaches and eye strain from staring at screens all day and night. I know this isn't good! Certainly it is the most difficult to stay away from in the winter and in the icky weather. There's nothing really to do outside and with the gas prices so high, it is so easy to just stay inside and watch TV or use a laptop all day.

I absolutely cannot wait until Spring and Summer when I can spend more time outside and give my eyes and head a break from all these electronics! Any advice on what to do until then? I know I should be reading more, asking friends to go out for a lunch break or something, and working out not using a TV. It is just so hard to disconnect sometimes - don't you agree?

3 comments:

  1. very interesting article. . thanks for sharing. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! My day job involves writing at the computer all day, and then there is blogging on the side. One thing that really helps me is taking walks outside whenever I can fit them in! Even just a ten minute walk totally can clear my head and computer headache.

    I actually just wrote about this on The Real Post Grad last night! Walking on lunch breaks is one of the only things that keeps me sane through the work week.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    And Allison, I'll check out your article right now. :) Yeah walks definitely help and fresh air!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)