Monday, April 2, 2012

Eating More Mindfully

It seems much of the time I can't get through one day without a headache or stomachache. Sometimes both! While I know sometimes the problem can be my nerves or problems with my sinuses and allergies, I think a big part of it is my diet.

I try to eat healthy but most of the time I know I don't have the healthiest diet or eat the most nutritious foods. I think part of it is laziness and I simply eat whatever food is easiest to make or available to me quickly. I am really interested in learning more about nutrition and hopefully changing my diet to food that will help me feel better. Any help or ideas you have would be amazing! Here are some ideas I had to start out with to see how it makes me feel:

1. Cut out sweets and junk food. As much as I love my chocolate and sweets, I think a lot of times it gives me stomach problems.

2. Cut out processed food. While I definitely have to do some research on all types of processed foods, I know that the chemicals or additives in these foods can definitely cause health problems and just general icky feelings.

3. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Many times I don't eat many fruits and vegetables unless they are cut up and ready to eat or I order them in a restaurant. This is simply laziness and no excuse. Sometimes I do notice that eating vegetables gives me a stomachache, but I think this may just be not eating them regularly or a specific vegetable.

4. Keep track of how much and timing of what I eat. For example, some days I know I don't eat enough and that can lead to headaches or yucky feelings and some days I will eat too many snacks or sweets and that definitely causes sick feelings. I need to just be more mindful of the things I eat and not letting myself eat too much or too little in a day.

5. Drink more water. I have read many positive things about drinking lots of water because it flushes out toxins, helps you stay hydrated and helps your immune system. Perhaps when I get headaches, it could be from the start of dehydration.

Do you have any more advice for me? I by no means want to go on a "diet" to lose weight or anything like that, I just want to eat more mindfully so I don't feel bad most of the time. I may start to write down everything I eat and perhaps the way I feel after I eat to get a better idea.

5 comments:

  1. Cutting out soda has made the biggest change in my health. I used to have stomachaches and headaches everyday, but after cutting out soda they disappeared after a few weeks. So I think your idea about drinking more water is a good one :)

    --Becky
    preppypremed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good call! I have never been a real big soda drinker so I definitely try to stay away from the stuff because I know it causes health problems. Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  2. These are all awesome goals! I eat mainly a plant-based diet and try not to eat much processed food. I cut most processed foods from my diet about 2 years ago, and I dropped about 15 pounds without even thinking about it or even trying. I was just trying to be healthy. I have so much more energy and feel so much better when I don't eat processed foods! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not bad to eat unhealthy foods sometimes but you need to exercise to maintain healthy lifestyle.

    chiropractor sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really interested in learning more about nutrition and View news hopefully changing my diet to food that will help me feel better. Any help or ideas you have would be amazing! Here are some ideas I had to start out with to see how it makes me feel:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)