Monday, December 7, 2009

Ups and Downs of Apartment Living

First of all, thank you for your kind words about my lack of postings/finals. I am happy to report 1 done, 2 more to go! I also snagged an internship for next semester today! Woo! Wish me luck with the rest of my week... I'm glad I got around to writing an entry today though. :)

Here's an update on my first apartment. I must say, sometimes I have a love/hate relationship with living on my own...but for the most part I love it. Here's a list of reasons I love it and reasons I hate it. Perhaps you agree!Here's a picture of part of my bedroom, what do you guys think?

Love it!
1. Being on my own, being more independent and knowing I can do all these things my mom used to do for me. 2. Not having to tell someone where I'm going and what I'm doing. 3. More privacy. 4. It's fun having a roommate! As much as I love doing things with my mom, it is just not the same. Having a friend there to do spontaneous Walmart trips at 12am is great. 5. It is also fun to have a place to call mine...to have my own bathroom and my own things!

Hate it!
1. I do miss my parents. I definitely find myself being closer to them and love going to see them. It helps when I don't talk to them as much, there is most time spent being happy with each other, which is great. But sometimes I really miss my house. 2. I miss my doggie! She is so sweet and I miss cuddling with her at night. 3. Noisy neighbors! Before it was my dad's snoring keeping me awake at night and now I can enjoy early morning jam sessions, heavy footsteps ALL THE TIME, and random loud talking. 4. Having to cook for myself, clean everything, do laundry...things my mom did for me now I have to do. It gets annoying but I know I am proud of myself for doing these things for myself. 5. Being closer to school is great but I feel like I am constantly driving elsewhere because I am now farther away from places I go to like to babysit, work, see my parents, etc.

8 comments:

  1. I love the pink in your room. It brightens the room up.

    I know how it is to live alone. been doing that for the past ten years. Sigh!!

    I dont even know how it is to feel at home. At the same time I love the independce that i have of even going out for an ice cream late night (which my parents will so not agree :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,

    Congratulations on your internship! Good job.

    No matter how old you get you will still miss living at home. I still miss having my mom do all the cooking, cleaning and laundry. Sometimes I wish to be a kid again so I can just play all evening when I get home from work.

    Regarding the noisy neighbors. Keep that in mind when you are studying. Save your money and buy a house. We had that problem when we lived in apartments or townhouses with attached walls. A stand alone house will eliminate most of the noise. Save your money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks pretty good to me :)

    Having a room made sounds quite fun! Hopefully mine is as awesome as yours, cause spontaneous WalMart trips at midnight sound amazing :D

    I don't know how much I'll miss my parents, but I definitely will miss my doggy too :/ I can't even think about that yet! But yeah, noisy neighbors definitely would be highly annoying :P

    Good luck with finals and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia - Thanks & 10 years! Wow! It is crazy to think that will be me one day haha. And yes my parents would never want me going out or doing anything past like 9-10 pm, even being in college!

    Sandy - Thanks! Yeah I definitely know what you mean. And yeah, one day I'll get a house...might be a few years but I'll definitely be saving up.

    Natalie - Thanks! :) When are you moving out? Into an apartment? I hope it all goes well, I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just moved out of my apt and into my mom's. I had all the same "hates" when I moved out, but I miss them more than anything now! I keep myself sane by knowing I will move when my internship is through.

    Hey-CONGRATULATIONS!!!

    And, your room is so neat. I'm about to post pics of mine...watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your room is adorable. and living on your own is the best, because when your mom comes to visit you get spoiled like never before! my mom takes me on giant costco and ikea trips whenever she comes to visit, and we have so much fun! and when you go home to visit with the family, again you get spoiled like never before! and you're so excited about how there's way more food in their fridge than there ever is in yours :)
    enjoy living on your own now, while it's still new and exciting. it's wonderful! yay!
    xo meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww that's awesome! :) And thanks Meg!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - they always make my day! Remember, if you wouldn't want me to leave that comment on your blog...please don't leave it on mine. In other words, be nice! :)